Skip to main content

Day Three Hundred Forty Six

First of all, last night's setlist from Grace Potter goes something like this:

1. Ah Mary
2. Hot Summer Night
3. Goodbye Kiss
4. Oasis
5. Apologies
6. Stop The Bus
7. White Rabbit
8. Nothing But The Water I
9. Nothing But The Water II
10. Medicine
11. Sugar
12. Paris (Ooh La La)

She played a few more than 9 songs, it turns out, but I wasn't complaining in the slightest.

Now, as for today's activities... I chatted with J. over Skype for a bit this morning. We talked guide tracks and drum tracks. I expressed my frustration over not having finished off the guide tracks yet, and he essentially let me off the hook by telling me he was exploring alternative drum sounds. Apparently, he's got some cool electronic stuff he wants to try out, and has been working with that.

He also provided more clarification on the guide tracks, and reassured me in the process that his changes shouldn't affect what I'm working on laying down guitar-wise. According to him, if I "work with the old drums, the new ones will fit right in." This was the first confirmation that I was supposed to be using the drums in my guide tracks. Mind you, I figured that would be the case, but it's still nice to have that confirmed. Also, he asked how B.'s mic was working out, and told me that he now wants two guide tracks. One that's just basic, and the next that's halfway between the first and the final performance. I'm really thinking I should just shoot for the final performance on this one. Still, all of this will help me in the long run.

Never did end up teaching today. I appeared at work (where we were scheduled to meet) at the appointed time, and they had left already. I consoled myself by picking up "Alpocalypse" by Weird Al, and "Revelator," the debut album by the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Read some more of the Keith Richards bio when I got home, and then started in with the acoustic. The good news is that after fighting with that blasted progression for what feels like forever now, I am fairly certain that I have finished it off! Granted, it will have to meet with B.'s approval, but I'm still feeling pretty good about it. After I got that done, I started to really dive into the guide tracks. Didn't get anything recorded, but I did finish breaking down one of the songs in terms of what we played, and the structure of the whole thing. We did some pretty odd stuff all those years ago. Got started figuring out the second one, but didn't get all the way through it yet.

The other thing I did tonight, as long as I had the list of songs handy, was to start looking through it to see what was done, and what still needed to be worked up. I think with what we have finished off/far along toward completion right now, we could make a solid run at a full album, but there are still a few that need working up, and one old one that we wrote really early on that I'd like to revisit. For some reason we had crossed it off years ago, but when we were chatting a few weeks back, the song kept coming up, so we'll see about that one.

Productive day today! Will hopefully catch up with B. sometime this week. We texted a bit tonight, but that was it. Maybe by then I can have more songs done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.