Skip to main content

Day Three Hundred Fifty Six

A few things to discuss tonight... first of all, I spent the evening focused on, and taking notes about, what I hope will be the opening cut from the record.  I jotted down everything I know about what we currently have recorded on it, and then moved into a series of questions and thoughts regarding where the song goes from here.  What I wouldn't give to have all three of us in the same place at moments like this, or at the very least two out of the three of us.  I really want to hear the piano part with drums behind it... which means that the piano part likely needs to be re-cut with a click track, because it's far from perfect where the notes are concerned, and it seems to speed up a bit as the song progresses.  Still, I'm hearing things that feel like they belong in the finished product, so this is a good thing.

Sometimes I wish someone else was here, if only because the music tends to keep me awake at night, now that we are involved again to a point where I can see it actually getting done/going somewhere.  If there's something I can't square away by the end of the night, it nags at the corners of my mind just enough that I can't sleep.  I'm hoping that the secret lies in doing exactly what I'm doing tonight, taking enough detailed notes that I can fully express my thoughts to the others when I do get that chance.  The other side of it, I'm sure, involves something I mentioned the other day... being able to translate the sounds I hear in my head back to the instrument.

A few other quick thoughts before I go try and pass out...

1)  I finally snagged the B&N bonus track for the latest Airborne Toxic record.  Oddly enough, it's labeled as one thing on the album, and comes up under a different title when you put it into iTunes.

2)  An extra copy of the Mumford & Sons record came into work tonight on vinyl.  It's not there anymore.  It's safe and sound in my apartment.

3)  Snagged my CD version of "Damnesia" today too.  Now I can hook up my brother with musical awesomeness.

Lots to get done over the next few days.  Apparently J. will be online and working on Sunday.  Got to get him some things by then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.