Skip to main content

Day Three Hundred Forty Seven

Figured out why I didn't teach yesterday... I had it written down as the 4th, they had it written down as the 5th. Hopefully we can get back on the same page next week, because apparently the kid I'm teaching couldn't stop talking about it afterwards... which in my book makes it a success.

So, in yesterday's post I had mentioned that I wanted to take a second look at a really old song that B. and I had written in the first glut of material we worked on 5 years ago. I pulled up the demo tonight, and tried to listen with fresh ears. I uncovered some interesting things.

First off, I understand completely why we crossed it off 5 years ago. The chord progression is entirely too simplistic, and the verse lyrics don't really work for me. That being said, I still like the intro riff, and the chorus lyric actually holds up fairly well. The progression in the chorus, for what it's worth, isn't perfect, but isn't nearly as rudimentary as the verses.

I can remember us going around in circles over whether or not to keep it or cut it all those years ago, and I suspect that, after weeks of doing that, neither one of us was up for the obvious third option: keep the parts we liked, and see if anything else worked around what we had left.

Assuming I can figure out exactly what we did (we only recorded two tracks, a vocal, and a terribly messy, loud, electric guitar), I don't think it'll take me that long to work up some cooler sounding verses and tighten up the chorus. Then it'll just be a matter of writing some lyrics. If nothing else, it'll make a pretty cool B-side.

B. and I are scheduled to chat on Thursday, so perhaps I can have it re-worked by then. Also, I've got to remember to record the progression I finished yesterday, so she can hear it Thursday night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.