Skip to main content

Day Eight (Year Two)

Skyped with B. tonight.  She started it all by asking me about one of the chord progressions on the list of things we will need to sort through later in the week.  I was going to explain it to her in writing, but figured it'd be easier to just show her how to play the chord in question.  That started a 3 hour video chat that covered some music stuff, and a lot of other chatter.

One of the first things she asked me was what my goals were for the time we have.  I laid it out very simply.  The goals (from my point of view) are as follows:

1)  Finish off the songs that we are considering for the record.
2)  Square away the tempos of said songs.
3)  Make sure we're confident about the arrangements
4)  Start figuring out track order.

She immediately jumped to a combination of the first item on the list and the last one on the list, and we went through everything.  What was I thinking would make the record, aside from the obvious 5 or 6 that we know for a fact will be there?  So, I ran through it, and came up with 12 songs/ideas that I'd like to see make the final record.  Then, I listed another 9 songs/ideas that I thought could potentially make the list.  After that, I admitted that the number at this point (21) didn't include the ten or so other things I uncovered the other night.  On top of that, she sent me a few bits of lyric, and a chord progression she's had for 3-4 years (I think I might have mentioned its existence in passing a few weeks back).  I have a pretty good feeling that this will also merit serious consideration.  If there's a record in there, we'll find it before the middle of August.

Needless to say, I didn't get any recording done tonight.  As much as that fact sort of bums me out (because it means that neither she, nor I, did any songwriting tonight), it was probably good that we went through what we did.  Every small step feels like big progress.  I know she's still worried we won't get enough done, and I might be too, if I stopped to think about for more than a second.  The bigger worry, as I've said many times, was not having enough songs.  Fairly certain we've got that covered now.  If I'm going to worry about anything between now and the time we are sitting in the same room, it'll be that I'll forget all my notes when I leave for home.

Hoping to get up early enough tomorrow that I can get some of that recording knocked out.  I go in late, so if I do it right I ought to have time.  It'd help if I could actually get some sleep tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.