Skip to main content

Day Three Hundred Fifty Seven

Skyped with B. for about an hour and a half tonight.  It wasn't in the evening's plans until about halfway through my shift tonight, and it happened a bit later in the evening than I had hoped it would because I got home late, but hey, it happened, so no complaints.  She asked early on if I had specific things I wanted to talk about tonight, and the only two things I really wanted to get out of the conversation were the full lyrics for the song that I think may lead off the record (because we did have the lyric completed), and the chord progression for another one of the old demos that I need to lay down a track for this weekend, and I wanted to make sure I got it right. 

We got that stuff out of the way rather late in the conversation, however, because apparently I felt the need to share my epiphany regarding the song that I suspect will open the record.  As I expected, she initially looked at me as if I were completely insane.  The more she thought about it, the more she came around to the idea, though, which I honestly wasn't expecting. 

After that, things really got interesting.  She immediately stated that opening with that song would set the bar really, really high, if only for us.  I admitted that I wouldn't want it any other way.  Then we started discussing what would come next.  How, exactly would we follow that up?  It was a valid question, to be sure, and one that led us into a discussion about this riff I've had for years now in G minor.  So we get to talking about that, and she at some point tells me that she was messing around with another piano riff that has a couple of chords behind it.  She plays the first chord, and it's a G.  Already I'm thinking, what are the chances?  Then she hits the riff, and I'll be damned if it's not practically the same riff.  If she's heard me play it at all, it was one time back in March, and yesterday, she gets this idea... that, to me, proves two things:
       1) The riff is good enough. 
and
       2)  It's got to be on the record.

So that's where I thought the night would end, but no, after we finish our chat, she sends me a text that says she's had a chorus with lyrics & melody sitting around for 3-4 years that, now that she plays it back, might just go with our mutual riffs in G minor.

Lots of work still to do in order to get things ready for my trip home, but nights like tonight, when things fall together out of thin air, will really go a long way toward making the process easier.  Hopefully tomorrow goes just as smoothly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.