Skip to main content

Day Two Hundred Twenty Five (Year Two)

I had grander intentions than doing some listening and a bit of acoustic playing tonight, I really did.  I picked up the latest Guitar World at work today, and I had it in mind that I was going to come home, read the new issue over dinner, and then dive into some playing.  Maybe try and get a bit of songwriting done, and just sort of see what happened from there.  Didn't quite work out that way, but hey, it never quite works out exactly the way we expect it to, does it? 

In regards to the listening, the fact of the matter is that I've come into a lot of music in the last few weeks, and I really need to try and assimilate it all.  Or make some sort of dent in it at the very least.  I can always tell that's the case when things start to look a bit more piled up than usual.  It's starting to have that feel to it again.  Maybe, if I get adventurous, I'll post pictures of my collection and ask for organizational suggestions from the world.  What I really need is a dedicated music room where all of my CDs and my instruments and my recording setup can all exist in harmony.  Someplace with more room for shelf space/CD racks, so that everything is more accessible than it is at present.  Realistically, however, that's probably not happening anytime soon, so I either need to find a way to tinker with the space a bit or just leave it be and let it go wiled until I've got a big enough area to let it all breathe the way it needs to.

Got a bit of a chance to play tonight, to fiddle about with the ideas from last month's project.  I'm feeling really good about a couple of those song ideas, and the rest are still in need of serious fine tuning.  It's a fun process, this idea of finding enough musical inspiration that really speaks to me enough to include it.  I know, if I'd done it right in February, I wouldn't have had enough time to analyze and second guess myself.  The whole "going on impulse alone" thing is what makes the idea of an album in a month intriguing.  Someday (some month?) I'll actually get all the way through that whole process.  It might not be this year, it might not be during a February, but it will happen.

I'm starting to hear in my head a bit about how this solo stuff will come out.  It still sounds like it's coming at me from far away, but the sounds are getting clearer, which is cool.  It means that one of these days, the noise will be blaringly loud and easier to translate.

They set aside the box of old in-store plays again today, with a note that said we could take another one.  Usually when we get a second crack at it, all of the good stuff is gone.  This time, I scored Gillian Welch's latest record, The Harrow & The Harvest.  Think I have a slight music addiction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.