The funniest part about this whole hard rock band thing, was that it all started out on acoustic. We would sit in the living room (and later in the back room with the studio) with acoustics, and trade chords and ideas back and forth until something clicked. It usually did, and it was almost always based around the weirdest chord we could find. Because, if you could take some off the wall sounding chord and make a progression out of it, then subconsciously it would be cool. I like to think I've got a pretty good ear for radio, and while a lot of our old demos were extremely rough around the edges, they had some potential. In a real studio, with drums and bass behind them, they could've made a pretty good record. I thought that then, I think it now. It's why I sat down with the acoustic today, and tried to find a way to flesh out the progression I got the other night. I made a little progress, but I think what needs to happen first is a going through of the old demos, just to see where anything new might fit in. Should be interesting.
Finished up last night's project for the Start Experiment tonight. It feels awesome to have the drums laid down for this first song. It's amazing to me just how much more like music this progression sounds with a drum track behind it. Tonight's project is recording the bass line, which should go pretty smoothly, considering that it's already written... I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Granted, it took me about an hour to get the drums set up so the patterns were recorded in the right order. Even with notes, these things take a lot of time, I guess. Two things dawned on me today that need sharing: 1) I haven't done much listening at all this week, except for what has happened in the car. It's still Drive-By Truckers right now, but that needs to change tomorrow. and 2) There hasn't been a whole lot of work on the Buddy Holly tune in the last couple of days. That needs to change tomorrow and Saturday if I'm going to feel good abou...
Comments
Post a Comment