Skip to main content

Day Three Hundred Twenty Three

Today was big. It seems like I've been saying that a lot lately, but once again, it also seems that it's true.

So, what I missed last night was the chance to hear the first run through of the drums and bass that J. put behind the first song we started working on. I caught up with him late this morning, and got to hear it before heading off to work though. It wasn't perfect, but then again, it wasn't supposed to be. He's trying to get close with the drums and bass so that we have a rhythm track to go back and lay new parts over. So what if it wasn't flawless, it was progress. Then we got down to the serious business. Talk of copyright and a brief mention of contracts before I had to dash off to work. All of the business stuff makes sense to get out of the way early, we all want to make sure we protect our interests in this whole thing, just to be on the safe side. Besides, I need to better educate myself about that side of the business anyway. To that end, I looked up the process for copyrighting songs today in a slow moment. Apparently, with so much happening through the internet these days, the process has gotten a lot faster since the last time I pondered looking into it. I found a cool website with a lot of information (musicbizacademy.com), so that should be fun to peruse tomorrow sometime. I also picked up a copy of All You Need To Know About The Music Business, by Donald Passman, and a copy of a book called The Indie Band Survival Guide. That, combined with the other resources I've picked up over the years (mostly stuff on record labels) should give me a good jumping off point for educating myself about the business side of music.

J. said that, aside from copyrighting everything, the next step is probably to find a time for all three of us to "get together" and talk about all of this stuff. He's right. We tried to do it tonight, but B. was unavailable by the time I finally pried myself away from work. So, again tonight it was just J. and I, which means that B. really missed out today, because by the time I got home, J. had gotten through two more songs with drums and bass. I got to hear it all, and then J. and I discussed recording options and programs and interfaces for getting everything to where we need it efficiently.

Apparently, if I get the right kind of audio interface, I can run the mixes from my current recording setup directly into my computer. That would be spectacular, or so I am led to believe.

This whole process is really going to be an education for me. J. has been doing this for years now, and he's gotten all of the training to be good at what he does. I'm hoping that I can learn from him throughout this whole process. I am fully intending to pepper him with questions at every chance I get, although I will admit that sometimes I smile and nod because I don't want to seem unknowing. I really need to stop doing that! The only way to learn is to ask, right?

He also said that, because both B. and I have Magix Music Maker, that he'd find himself a copy of it too, just so that all three of us will be on the same page, program-wise. Some part of me wishes we all had ProTools instead... actually, some part of me wishes we were all doing this in a professional studio instead... which he said could/would/should happen if we get to the end of the process and decide we really want to make something of this, either to sell at gigs or to shop to labels. Can't wait to pass all of this on to B. tomorrow.

And (as before) away we go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.