Skip to main content

Day Seventy (Year Four)

I got to everything I had hoped for today, which included:

1) Lick #3 from Guitar Aerobics
2) More work with the DVD booklets I pulled out last night
3) the solo from "Yellow Ledbetter"
4) The Blues Goldmine book.

Having put in three days worth of work on the Guitar Aerobics book, here's what I'm noticing... while the book is billed as a "1 lick per day" format, it hasn't worked that way for me since the first day.  Instead, it has evolved into something wherein I work through all of the licks leading up to the current one, and then tackle the current one.  So, by the end of the week, I'll be going through all seven licks whenever I sit down.  What's cool about it to me is that, while all of them are easier to play tonight than they were on Monday or Tuesday, just that improvement is obvious when I get down to whatever the rest of my daily practicing is.

I ran through some of the same licks from the DVD booklets again tonight, and those are sounding about the same as they did last night.  Tomorrow's goal is going to be to use the DVDs as well, instead of just playing off of the transcriptions.

As for "Ledbetter," I did a couple of things with it, but didn't take the final step of slowing it down to make sure I get everything down exactly.  Part of that rests in the fact that, of the three different versions of that song that I have, the solo is never played the same way.  So, what it comes down to is this: should I learn the solo note for note first, and then take that knowledge and use it to play it more by feel and emotion, or should I start with the feel and emotion side of things, and then go back, learn it note for note, and use that as a way to provide other soloing options?  The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to go with the latter of the two choices.

The Goldmine book went well today, too.  Those turnarounds are getting easier.  If I have a secondary priority tomorrow, it's those lessons, just to make sure that I'm getting as much out of them as I can, and that I'm getting the tempos right.

Tomorrow needs to be a day with a long practice session.  If only for my own sense of self and sanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two Hundred Ninety Three (Year Four)

Big day today, for a few reasons... First off, it was a good night in the studio.  As opposed to the recent sessions that have had a singular focus (either theory-related, or acoustic/set list related), tonight had a little bit of both things in it.  When I hit the studio tonight, I fully expected to pick up the electric and work out a bit more theory studying, much like things have gone for the last week or so.  Knowing that, I somehow ended up with the acoustic in my hands, working through a little bit of Brandi Carlile.  More specifically, two songs of hers that I have always loved, "Wasted," and "Fall Apart Again," but until tonight, never taken the time to sit down and learn.  I have a songbook with everything from the first three records, and it took me until tonight to sit down and take a look at working through some of these things. In a related note, I really feel like the last year has been so very good for my confidence, musically.  There are some p

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris