Skip to main content

Day Fifty Seven (Year Four)

Sometimes it's the little things that make the whole day.  Two of those today, actually.

1) Got that chord change ironed out that had been giving me a bit of grief the last couple of days.  All it takes is consistent work for things to get better.  I know this, on an instinctive level, but every so often, it's nice to have it proved to you all over again.  I can tell you what's different about this time than all the previous times, too.  I'm getting in the studio every day for at least a little while.  There's something about having an actual space for it that makes that easier to get done.  Maybe it's not feeling like you're taking up the whole living room when you sit down to practice.  Maybe it's being able to close the door and concentrate without interruption, I don't know, but either way, it's working.

2) Figured out something tonight regarding octaves and note names that I had either never taken the time to notice, or never had explained to me before.  Essentially, if you learn the notes on the 5th and 6th strings, everything else can be broken down and figured out through octaves off of those notes.  The shape is different for notes on the 2nd string, but the idea is the same, and the notes on the high E string are the same as those on the low E string, so that takes care of that.

The following diagram, from guitarlessons.com, illustrates the point:

http://www.guitarlessons.com/media/guitar-lessons/chord-charts/understanding-octave-centers.jpg

The pairs of notes on the 3rd & 5th frets are octaves, as are those on the 10th & 12th frets, and so on and so on.  The pairs of notes on the 8th & 10th frets are octaves, as well as those on the 12th & 15th frets.  It also follows, then, that the system is the same for all of the #'s and b's.

That small bit of knowledge alone is really going to open things up for me, personally, because from there I can see how scales tie in.  I hesitate to go so far as to say that this was the "missing link" for me, but it definitely feels like a light bulb moment.

A good day of music stuff.  Some good practicing and some learning.  It's all a win.  More tomorrow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Ninety Three (Year Four)

Big day today, for a few reasons... First off, it was a good night in the studio.  As opposed to the recent sessions that have had a singular focus (either theory-related, or acoustic/set list related), tonight had a little bit of both things in it.  When I hit the studio tonight, I fully expected to pick up the electric and work out a bit more theory studying, much like things have gone for the last week or so.  Knowing that, I somehow ended up with the acoustic in my hands, working through a little bit of Brandi Carlile.  More specifically, two songs of hers that I have always loved, "Wasted," and "Fall Apart Again," but until tonight, never taken the time to sit down and learn.  I have a songbook with everything from the first three records, and it took me until tonight to sit down and take a look at working through some of these things. In a related note, I really feel like the last year has been so very good for my confidence, musically.  There are some p