Skip to main content

Day Nineteen (Year Four)

So, Round 2 of the #STARTexp began today, and the good people of the Start Experiment have charged us with being Audacious in the second round.  I looked that up today.  According to Webster, to be audacious means being: intrepidly daring, recklessly bold, contemptuous of law, religion, or decorum, and marked by originality and verve.

That's quite a list of attributes to measure up to.  Given my challenge (and the fact that I've tried to complete it before, and failed), attempting to get a handle on a lesson binder seems, at the very least, to be recklessly bold.  And, while it may not be the most daring place to begin, it made sense to me on Day 1 to go back through my prior attempt to see what it was that actually made it into the binder when I tried to do this in years past.  It didn't end up being all that much, but what did make it in will prove to be helpful in establishing the base of what is to come.  Here's what I found tonight that's already in the binder:

1) A Music Reference form from Berklee.  Likely out of date by now, yes, but it lists various competencies and invites whoever is filling out the form to grade the applicant on each of the areas.  Since Berklee out in Boston was the original goal four years ago, this made sense.

2) Two different fretboard diagrams: one that has all of the notes on the fretboard right next to their equivalents on the staff, and a second one that has all of the natural notes circled.

3) A sheet that has the scale tones for all 15 keys.
4) A sheet with the circle of fifths, all key signatures, and the all of the keys with their corresponding relative minors.

5) A sheet of scale degrees for all about 30 different scales
6) A fretboard diagram with all of the A's, B's, C's, etc. circled (one sheet for each note)
7) A fretboard diagram that has all of the notes in every key circled (one sheet for each key)

Also included were a couple of random classical pieces that my brother had mailed to me, and an article on practicing that I had found online a number of years back.

Oh, and there's a notebook in the binder.  It has all of the keys written out, with the major scale written out for each key, along with the number of sharps or flats (and their names).  It also has the tonic, sub-dominant, and dominant chords for each key (I-IV-V) and the relative minor (vi).

That seems like a lot of stuff, until I sit back and realize everything I want to go into this... then it seems like almost nothing at all.

Sometimes, in order to START something effectively, it helps to go back and see where the earlier mistakes were.  I'm in a better place now to learn from them, and build something that will work better.

More tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.