Skip to main content

Day Three Hundred Forty Nine (Year Three)



The above photo was taken from Brandi's Instagram account.  Gotta give credit where credit is due.

So, yeah, got home at 2 this morning.  Made it through my day on 4 hours of sleep, but it was SO WORTH IT!

The Lone Bellow opened for Brandi last night at Simon Estes, and while I've loved their debut record since it came out, and was hoping that they were as good live as they were on the album, I didn't expect them to blow the recording out of the water!  Their harmonies were tight, their musicianship was incredible, and they really gave the headliner a run for her money.

I've searched all night for set lists for both Brandi and The Lone Bellow to no avail.  I'll keep digging the next few days, and if one shows up, I'll make sure to post it.

Going into the BC portion of the show, there were certain things I was hoping for that didn't happen:

1) "Wasted"
2) "Turpentine," with the three part harmonies
3) "Crazy"

Certain things that did:

1) "Folsom Prison Blues" (they ended the night with it, and it was the loudest, longest, most raucous version of it I've ever heard them do)

2) "Looking Out," this time done solo acoustic by Brandi, with a great story beforehand about the inspiration behind the song.  Best I've ever heard her do that one.)

And certain things I never saw coming:

1) "The Chain" (Fleetwood Mac cover)
2) "Nothing Compares 2 U" (Prince/Sinead O'Connor cover)

All of it was amazing.

I've got other news tonight that's music related, but I think I'm going to save it for tomorrow's post.  It's Start Experiment related, and I don't have the consciousness to do it justice tonight.  Tomorrow, for sure!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two Hundred Ninety Three (Year Four)

Big day today, for a few reasons... First off, it was a good night in the studio.  As opposed to the recent sessions that have had a singular focus (either theory-related, or acoustic/set list related), tonight had a little bit of both things in it.  When I hit the studio tonight, I fully expected to pick up the electric and work out a bit more theory studying, much like things have gone for the last week or so.  Knowing that, I somehow ended up with the acoustic in my hands, working through a little bit of Brandi Carlile.  More specifically, two songs of hers that I have always loved, "Wasted," and "Fall Apart Again," but until tonight, never taken the time to sit down and learn.  I have a songbook with everything from the first three records, and it took me until tonight to sit down and take a look at working through some of these things. In a related note, I really feel like the last year has been so very good for my confidence, musically.  There are some p

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris