Skip to main content

Day Ninety Five (Year Three)

I got back to playing for at least a little bit today.  It's amazing how much the simple act of strapping on a guitar functions as a shield from everything else going on around you.  Those of us that have come to cherish that feeling on a part time basis long to have the ability to feel that way all the time.  We tend to sit and wonder about how awesome it must be to play music for a living and get paid for it. 

What we tend to overlook is that those who are getting paid to do what they love are often not making enough money doing it to survive.  In an era where major label deals simply aren't what they used to be, and even those labels are cutting costs (and corners), it's tough on artists out there.  And as much as we like to think that the advent of the internet, cheaper recording software, and itunes makes it easier for musicians to be heard (and, to be fair, it does) those same things that can be tools of assistance have also led to the market being crammed full of people with laptops and no talent thinking they deserve to be the next big thing.  As for itunes, I use their services from time to time, and I know that they pay the artists who have their music sold through Apple's giant conglomerate, but sometimes I stop to wonder whether the artist is getting enough back for the blood, sweat, and tears that they're putting into their music every waking moment of their day.

What inspired this rant today, you ask?  It's this.  One of my favorite discoveries of the year, Kasey Anderson, and his band The Honkies, are stepping away from music for a while because they can't swing it financially.  Instead of going out there and putting up a false front, they're doing the smart thing, circling the wagons and waiting for the tide to turn.

Most of the time, I only post links to the articles and/or missives I make mention of in this space, but somehow this feels important enough to include in full text.  For those of you who see this and aren't familiar with Mr. Anderson's work, check him and his band out, buy a record, support his cause, and savor the rock and roll that he's been sending our way.  He's a defender of the faith whose passion for music burns bright and long.  The pain it causes to have to do what he's doing must be unbearable.

Once again, the words that precede are mine, the words that follow are those of Kasey Anderson:
 
Hi.
Last week, I made my new album, Let the Bloody Moon Rise, available for 72 hours, writing that struggles with a label and frustration about the music business had put me in a place where I just wanted people to hear the record, so I was going to give them a chance, then I’d find a way to put it out next Spring.

Well, that’s not going to happen.

The past week found me revisiting a year of touring, recording, mixing, and mastering and staring at an immense amount of debt. Writing and playing songs has been my only job for several years and I always said I was sure a time would come when it would no longer be my only job; that time appears to be now. I’m very proud of Let the Bloody Moon Rise but, honestly, I don’t have the money to release it, and every dealing I’ve had with labels leaves me immensely frustrated about the direction of the “industry” part of the music industry. I just like writing songs and playing them. I don’t like arguing over money and contract details and seeing my bank balance dwindle until it’s gone.

Well, get a publishing deal, right? Get a song placed. All of that stuff, to one degree or another, requires people working for you and I can’t afford to have people working for me anymore. I also can’t afford the alternative, which is doing it yourself. A lot of people helped contribute and get this record made, and that means the world to me. I’ve put all of my money - to say nothing of money borrowed from my family and friends - into my career for the last several years and I’m very proud of what I’ve done, but I currently do not have a home, or health insurance, or enough money to continue to keep touring and putting out records. I can press a small amount of Let the Bloody Moon Rise CDs and LPs, and that’s what’s available - I’m making it available again this weekend so we can sell through what I can afford to press - and then I’m going to go play in someone else’s band, or write songs for somebody else, or, fuck, work in the projection booth at a movie theatre like I used to; figure out some way to get back to a place where I can afford to do the thing I love to do, and the thing I’m actually good at doing.

I cannot say for certain, but as far as I’m concerned, last weekend and this weekend is as much a “release” as Let the Bloody Moon Rise will see so, if you’ve been looking forward to it, grab it. It’s a real good record and I want the people who want it to have it.

I won’t be so melodramatic as to say I’ve played my last show or made my last record but, in terms of releasing and touring behind this record, any time in the near future, I don’t see a way to make it happen. It’s disappointing, but it happens. We had a good year and played with and for a lot of great, passionate people. I wish I were not so immensely disappointed and disillusioned right now but I am and, until I’m not, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to go out there and sing at y’all. I have a few shows left this year, and I’ll play those, and then, like I said, I’m going to go do something other than Kasey Anderson and The Honkies for a while. 

You can buy Let the Bloody Moon Rise here, while they last, if you want it.

See you out there.
KA


Buy his album, people, it's going to be amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.