Skip to main content

Day One Hundred Seventy Nine (Year Two)

Heard back from J.  He wasn't as crushed by the news that I don't think what we've spent 7 months working on belongs on the EP as I thought he was going to be.  This was unexpected.  And also really good news!  In fact, he sort of backed up what I've thought all along.  Here's the exciting stuff from his comments:

After stating that we started where we did because it was the easiest entry point, he said this: 

I wanted to make sure we could get through the process before starting to work on the harder (more important) ones.

Then, he laid out a plan for expediting things going forward, saying:   

I'd like to figure out how to speed the process up before getting too deep. Ideally, each track to be recorded should have a turn-around between 3-7 days, considering work schedules, etc. mixes should take about the same. If we could do an entire song in the span of a couple months, it would be easier to keep focus. 


He's right about the shorter time frame making it easier to keep focus.  The only problem I have with his theory is that it might not let us finish up before the end of the year, which is really what I was hoping for.  I told him that I would feel better about the whole thing if we had gotten at least something done on multiple songs, as opposed to spending all this time on one tune that might not even make the record, and he said the following:

On my end, I can only really work on one song at a time, or else I wouldn't get anything done on any of them. But, we can change songs if you think it will help bring focus. I have some stuff ready for the other two I was working on, and could have more with just a little time.

This is encouraging to me, because it projects well going forward.  Plus, I totally understand his logic for only working on one thing at a time.  Truthfully, I'm fine with that too, so long as the work gets done faster than it has been.  And yet, it was the last thing he wrote that gives me the most hope.  In part this is because it gives me a reason to get motivated again.  Here are his final two paragraphs:


In the mean-time, why don't you get some tracks recorded? Play the guitar with a metronome, and then just get a bunch of different takes down. Change the style up, and record some more. The more you give me to to work with, the better editing and mixing I can do. Then, B. can record some vocal tracks the same way, using one of your guitar tracks.

That way, you two can work at any pace that suits you at the time, and you can change focus when something gets hung up. I will be able to tackle one project and move on to the next without any delay. I think that one of the things that gets us hung up is that we are all dependent on each other's schedules to get things done, but if we are all working separately, we can crank out much more work in a shorter time.


He's right.  Because we've only been working on one thing at a time, there's been a lot of waiting for 2 out of the 3 of us while the other person is working on their stuff.  If we all just keep working on whatever strikes our fancy at a given moment, the whole project will come together a lot faster.

Now, if only I can talk B. into the EP idea over the full record... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two Hundred Ninety Three (Year Four)

Big day today, for a few reasons... First off, it was a good night in the studio.  As opposed to the recent sessions that have had a singular focus (either theory-related, or acoustic/set list related), tonight had a little bit of both things in it.  When I hit the studio tonight, I fully expected to pick up the electric and work out a bit more theory studying, much like things have gone for the last week or so.  Knowing that, I somehow ended up with the acoustic in my hands, working through a little bit of Brandi Carlile.  More specifically, two songs of hers that I have always loved, "Wasted," and "Fall Apart Again," but until tonight, never taken the time to sit down and learn.  I have a songbook with everything from the first three records, and it took me until tonight to sit down and take a look at working through some of these things. In a related note, I really feel like the last year has been so very good for my confidence, musically.  There are some p

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris