Skip to main content

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Two)

I had a series of revelations today.  They were all good revelations, too, so I count that as a good thing.  The list, if you can quantify it as such, went like this:

1) I should be able to both work on "Classical Gas" and pull off the EP in the same month.

2) If I'm going to be serious about the original goal (Berklee), I ought to start my plan for improvement with their acceptance requirements.  That said, I printed off a fresh copy of their application.  I intend to compare it to the one I've carried with me for a decade now, just to see if things have changed at all in 10 years, and then start devising my plan of attack/practice from there.

3) I got an email from my brother today while I was at work that related to yesterday's post.  At the risk of being completely nerdy, here's what he wrote:


I just read your blog from last night and wished to insert my opinion and say that I think the cover EP sounds like a great idea for a November project. Plus I just had a random inspiration, so I'll be visiting you over winter break (whether mum or pop comes with me or not) so my idea was that we could look at Classical Gas together. I already know it but not the legit version that you have so we could work through it together and collaborate and it would be sweet! Plus I could bring my classical guitar and you could give it a shot on that because I think you'd like it.

Just a thought.

He's definitely got a point.  I could just focus in on the EP for the rest of the month, and then really key in on "Classical Gas" whenever it is he appears.

4) We got more of the awesome mini-speakers for ipods in at work today.  I missed out on them the first time around, and wasn't about to do so again.  I bought two of them.  You can daisy-chain them together for a bigger sound.  Anything more than two, however, would totally kill the portability factor.

5) New issue of Guitar World today that has, as its cover story, an article on The Beatles in the recording studio.  Album by Album.  It outlines some of the innovations and the studio tricks that they used to get the sounds they got.  Can't wait to read this article.  I only got to page through it at work for a few seconds before I left.

That's really all for today.  The "Top 5" (been a long time since one of those) part of me feels like I need a 6th thing as a bonus, but I really can't think of anything.  Today was a really good day for music.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris

Day Two Hundred Forty One (Year Eight)

Holy shit.  I knew it had been a good number of days since I'd posted, but I didn't think for a second that it had been NINE of them... the last week and a half has been a blur, so let me see if I can catch myself up: 1.  It was spring break week last week, so in theory I should have been able to get a lot of good work in, but there was family here all week long, and staying with us.  It was great to see them all, but it didn't leave an awful lot of time for hiding away in the studio. 2.  My Dad and my Brother were here at the end of that time, though, and we got a chance to talk through a bit of the plan for the hootenanny that Dad wants to throw this summer, so that was good. 3.  New Decemberists record came in the mail today.  I'm listening now, but am hoping to spend a lot more time with it over the weekend. I've felt disconnected and off for great parts of the last week, even with people here.  It's no wonder, considering I haven't posted here.