Skip to main content

Day Two Hundred Ninety Seven

All right, I won't waste any time here... the official work on the hard rock record is starting on Wednesday. I talked with B. for two hours tonight (after texting back and forth for a bit before hand), and I really think we would've started tonight, but her internet was being difficult.

I know I've said it before in the last few days, but I'm so excited to get back to this music.

The Wednesday start will be good. We're both off that day, so depending on when we get going, we'll have a good chunk of time to devote to getting everything set up, and then maybe getting started on a bit of the music. If we can get her set up on Skype, and get a bit of the file transferring done, that'll be a successful first day in my book.

Plus, it'll give me another day to try and sort out the progression I was working on yesterday. It's funny, you know, she said she was going to go through all of the old stuff, and me, I'm more worried about all of the new ideas that have bounced across my mind in the last 4 years. So, I guess between the two of us we'll hopefully be okay? Oh well, that's always the way it has gone in the past.

B. said she was playing through the old tunes today, trying to remember how they go... glad I'm not the only one who struggles with that after 4 years. One of the ones we were the highest on uses a lot of barre chords, and she was saying her hands were hurting after she remembered what the progressions were. I went through the same thing a few months back. And something tells me that she's going to have an easier time with recall on some of it than I have been.

Guess it's really time to step up the practicing on my lead playing. I'm thinking my fingers are going to need to be quicker than they are at the present in order to do the solos justice. Actually getting back to working on this makes me want to go out and buy another electric. Something that's a little more "heavy rock" than my Strat. Like maybe a Les Paul. And while I'm at it, I'd really love to have a 12 String acoustic again... might add some cool touches for this stuff. And if we're dreaming here, one of those electronic drum kits would save us a whole lot of trouble. Oh, if only it were that easy... regardless of that, I say: bring on the rock & roll.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two Hundred Ninety Three (Year Four)

Big day today, for a few reasons... First off, it was a good night in the studio.  As opposed to the recent sessions that have had a singular focus (either theory-related, or acoustic/set list related), tonight had a little bit of both things in it.  When I hit the studio tonight, I fully expected to pick up the electric and work out a bit more theory studying, much like things have gone for the last week or so.  Knowing that, I somehow ended up with the acoustic in my hands, working through a little bit of Brandi Carlile.  More specifically, two songs of hers that I have always loved, "Wasted," and "Fall Apart Again," but until tonight, never taken the time to sit down and learn.  I have a songbook with everything from the first three records, and it took me until tonight to sit down and take a look at working through some of these things. In a related note, I really feel like the last year has been so very good for my confidence, musically.  There are some p

Day One Hundred Eleven (Year Eight)

Okay, so Dave's voice was kinda shot last night and the show was still epic.  Here's what they played: Run All My Life Learn to Fly The Pretender The Sky Is a Neighborhood Rope ( with solo's ) Sunday Rain My Hero These Days Walk Under My Wheels / Jump / Another One Bites the Dust / Blitzkrieg Bop ( w/ band introductions ) Big Me Congregation Breakout Times Like These This Is a Call Under Pressure ( Queen  cover) Monkey Wrench Breakdown ( Tom Petty  cover) Best of You Dirty Water Let There Be Rock ( AC/DC  cover) Everlong   And here is a little bit of "Big Me," just for fun:    

Day Three Hundred Forty (Year Six)

It's done.  Well, okay, so it's 99.5% done, but that's close enough for me. The stereo and the turntable got set up this morning, as I figured they would, and the two bags of randomness (picks, my slide, tuners, etc) and the few small piles of notebooks got dealt with tonight.  I even managed to get the iMac set up, if not fired up. And yet, the studio remains only slightly unfinished.  Somewhere in either the house or the garage, there must be a box or a bag that has a couple of studio-related items tucked into it, because there are at least two things I can't find.  As fate would have it, they're important things, too.  And something tells me that they're all in one place.  I'm missing: 1.  My looping pedal 2.  The power cable for my Marshall 3.  The foot switch for the Marshall They're all things that would have been in the same general area in the old studio, but given how much of the house we've gotten set up already, it really surpris